How to Make the Perfect Muffins
Baking can be a simple process when done correctly. However I have learned that cupcakes or muffins can be easily messed up when even one error has been made. I’m giving you my top tips to mastering muffins every time.
I pride myself on being a good baker. Mainly because my mother had me in the kitchen as soon as I could hold a spoon and lick the dough. (Thank you mom!) Yet cookies, muffins, and bread are a trickier thing to bake. How long should I let it stay in the oven? Do I test with a toothpick now or in five minutes? Why didn’t they turn out like the picture on the box?
Here to help save you from throwing in the towel and picking up store-bought cupcakes on the way to the party, let me give you my top 6 tips on how to make the perfect muffin/cupcakes
- 1.) Line the pan– As beginner and simple as that sounds it’s a step I missed a few times until I got tired of my muffins never baking to the bottom and sticking to the pan when I pulled them out. You can use coconut oil, baking spray or paper liners. If you aren’t going to be eating the muffins right away, maybe consider liners, because it keeps the muffins fresher for a longer.
- 2.) Don’t over stir the batter- You want the batter to look messy and a bit lumpy. You want to just moisten the ingredients and make sure no flour has stuck to the bottom. So resist the temptation to beat the batter like cake batter. It’s better when it’s a little clumpy.
- 3.) Use a tea-spoon or ice cream scoop- Transferring your messy lumpy batter to the pan can be a challenge. One hack to making it easier is to use a tea spoon or a ice cream scoop. It eliminates the mess and cuts down on trying to get each cup even.
- 4.) Don’t over fill the pan- Try an aim for 1/2 or 3/4’s. This will make sure that they won’t overflow in the oven and cause you the headache of having to clean your oven before your mother-in-law comes over for dinner.
- 5.) Add toppings or flavor last- Not only is this a pretty decoration on your tasty masterpiece, it also helps the flavors that you are wanting to display be in the very first bite. As the muffins rise, the sprinkled flavor will rise to the top to create a tasty muffin to displayed and then consume.
- 6.) Let it cool- After your tasty dessert is complete, let the muffins cool down for 5-10 minutes before diving into them. This ensures they won’t fall apart. I wait 5 minutes and then place the muffins on a wire rack to finish cooling. Don’t leave them in the heated pan too long though or they can turn soggy at the bottom.
There you have it! The top tips to creating your perfect muffins or cupcakes for any and every occasion you have. Let me know if you have some more tips for baking your own mouth-watering dessert. I would love to hear it!
I used Simple Mills chocolate muffin mix for the featured picture and added cocoa chips.
While some links in this post contain affiliate links (which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase) all opinions are my own. Thanks so much for supporting me! To learn more, check out my Disclosure and Policy.